New Zealand vs Australia 2nd ODI 1982 Highlights

Read the article of New Zealand vs Australia 2nd ODI 1982 - Australia tour of New Zealand 3-match one-day international series of the 2nd ODI match played between Australia and New Zealand at Carisbrook, Dunedin in 17th February 1982.

Three-wicket hauls from Terry Alderman and Dennis Lillee before An unbeaten superb half-centuries from Bruce Laird and Allan Border steers to Australia crushing six-wicket victory over New Zealand and level the series with 1-1 in a incident-free game of the second ODI.

* 115* : Bruce Laird and Allan Border set up the record fifth-wicket partnership for Australia in One-day international, previously held by the 74-run stand between Allan Border and Martin Kent against England at Lord's in the last year and the second highest fifth-wicket stand in ODIs.

NEW ZEALAND scored 159/9 in 49 overs with top scorer by Jeremy Coney 54 (88) and Bruce Blair 29 (67)

Australia best bowler by Terry Alderman
3/22 (10) and Dennis Lillee 3/24 (10)

AUSTRALIA 45-4 to chased 160/4 in 45 overs with top scorer by Bruce Laird * 71 (125) and Allan Border * 53 (68)

New Zealand best bowler by Richard Hadlee
2/24 (9) and Ewen Chatfield 1/30 (10)

This match reported by John Coomber, of AAP via SMH

Bruce Laird and Allan Border, Australia's pocket-sized fighters, engineered a six-wicket win in the second one-day cricket international against New Zealand at Carisbrook. 

The match, watched by a record crowd of 15,000, was incident-free compared with the rowdy scenes that accompanied New Zealand's 46-run win in the first game in Auckland last Saturday. 

Laird (71 not out) and Border (53 not out) ensured that Australia's margin was decisive, but the tourists were never as comfortable as' the scores suggest. Australia, at 4-45 in the 22nd over, were under as much pressure as New Zealand had been.

Greg Chappell, the Australian captain, won the toss and asked New Zealand to bat on a wicket which always favoured the bowlers, especially in the first 20 overs of each innings. Both teams changed their plans in the half hour before the game started.

Australia took a risk with Len Pascoe, whose bruised left foot seemed certain to keep him out of the game, He bowled with credit, taking 1-29 off nine overs. New Zealand had worse problems — two of their players were injured warming up. John Reid ricked his back and was replaced at short notice by Bruce Blair, one of three Otago players suspended for a weekend game by a disciplinary committee the night before.

Gary Troup, the left-arm fast bowler, threw his arm out and was replaced by Ewen Chatfield. Although well beaten in the end, the New Zealanders took some consolation from having dismissed Chappell for another duck — his eighth of the summer. The Australian . bowlers were always on top and it was a welcome sight to see Dennis Lillee stretching out from something like his full run. Lillee, recovering from a strained groin, took 3-24, including the wickets of danger man John Wright and Richard Hadlee. His West Australian teammate Terry Alderman moved the ball effectively from a full length and claimed 3-22 off his 10 overs.

After New Zealand had lost 39-4 in 18 overs Jeremy Coney (54) and Blair (29) put on 85 for the fifth wicket. Once they were separated the New Zealand tail offered little to excite the crowd but held out for the allotted time. However, Australia bowled only 49 of their 50 overs and are liable to a fine of $NZ500 from their match winnings of $3,800. Chappell said that they would discuss the situation with New Zealand officials. The Australians are claiming that drinks breaks and instances when the batsmen held up play worked against them.



Previous Post Next Post