New Zealand vs Australia 1st ODI 1982 Article

Read the article of New Zealand vs Australia 1st ODI 1982 - Australia tour of New Zealand 3-match one-day international series of the 1st ODI match played between Australia and New Zealand at Eden Park, Auckland in 13th February 1982.

Bruce Edgar's brilliant half-century and Jeremy Coney's quick-fire 45 before Gary Troup's four-wicket haul and Debutant Martin Crowe's debut five dismissals helped to New Zealand thumping 46-run victory over Australia, despite a superb century from Captain Greg Chappell and take a 1-0 lead in a incident-game of the first ODI.

Match Stats : 
  • Greg Chappell became the first batsman to score two centuries against New Zealand in One-day international cricket history.
  • Greg Chappell became the fourth batsman to score three centuries in ODIs after Dennis Amiss (5), Gordon Greenidge (4) and Viv Richards (4).

NEW ZEALAND scored 240/6 in 50 overs with top scorer by Bruce Edgar 79 (119) and Jeremy Coney 45 (33)

Australia best bowler by  Len Pascoe 1/35 (10) and Terry Alderman 1/41 (10)

AUSTRALIA scored 194 for all-out in 44.5 overs with top scorer by Greg Chappell 108 (92) - which was his 3rd hundred & his second century against New Zealand in ODIs - including 15-fours with strike rate of 117.39 and John Dyson 32 (71)

New Zealand best bowler by Gary Troup 4/44 (10) and Martin Crowe 2/9 (2)

This match reported by SMH Staff (Third Party Reference from SMH)

Eden Park witnessed a day of brawls, bowls, beer, bosoms and bails as New Zealand beat Australia by 46 runs in the first one-day international.

Events climaxed when police escorted Greg Chappell from the ground after his defiant lone stand of 108. New Zealand authorities feared crowd reprisals over last year's underarm incident in Melbourne.

New Zealand won the match with a batting spree which netted them 240 runs for six wickets while Australia were all out for 194 in 44.5 overs.

It was sweet revenge for New Zealand. But Greg Chappell — the man a record crowd of more than 50,000 came to hiss as the villain — scored a superb century.

He was booed when he walked on and somebody rolled a lawn bowl onto the field as he took guard. However, he was cheered for his half century and century, and kocked over in a crush of celebrations after he was out.

The New Zealanders could hardly hold grudges, for by then Australia was sliding towards defeat after seeming to have the match well in hand mid-way through the innings.

The long Australian batting tail offered no resistance, and the crowd surged onto the field as last man Terry Alderman was bowled. It was a day of incidents tumbling one on top of another.

The Australians were angered when New Zealand opener Bruce Edgar was given not out after Terry Alderman had removed his leg bail. The umpires did not see what had happened, and gave him the benefit of the doubt, but a television replay showed clearly that he had been clean howled.

Edgar was only five at the time, and went on to make 79, setting up the New Zealand win. Few people at the ground knew what had happened, and the crowd got noisier as the New Zealand innings built up.

The notorious terraces at the eastern end, the Auckland equivalent of the Sydney Hill, had most of the off-field action. To a booming of beer cans knocking together there were several brawls requiring police intervention, which were reminiscent of scenes there five months ago when New Zealand played the Springboks in the third Rugby Test.

The fashion for young women baring their tops has apparently spread to New Zealand. To an enthusiastic wel-come, one well-developed young woman stripped off her top and paraded at one end of the terrace before she was escorted assay by police.

All of this drew attention away from the middle, where New Zealand set Australia a hot target with a flurry of big hits towards the end.

Lance Cairns and Jeremy Coney put on 30 runs in the last two overs, including 19 off Alderman's last of the match. The Australian innings got away to a familiar beginning when Graeme Wood ran himself out in the second over. Bruce Laird followed soon after and Australia was battling at 21-2 after 11 overs.

But fortunes swung as John Dyson and Chappell put on 88 for the third wicket, Chappell, who was dropped at 16 and 21, made the best possible reply to his detractors in the terraces as he unleashed some of his brilliant strokemaking, His 50 came in even time off 39 balls, and he reached his hundred with his 14th boundary off 82 balls in five minutes under two hours.

But there was no support once Dyson had gone, and after Rod Marsh defeat was inevitable. The New Zealanders bowled extremely well, keeping the ball further up than the Australians.

Martin Crowe, the 19-year-old hometown boy making his international debut, all but stole the show by having a hand in the first five dismissals. He ended with two wickets for nine, three catches and a runout. And he was chosen for his batting, but didn't get to the wicket. 



Previous Post Next Post