Australia vs West Indies Benson & Hedges World Series Cup 2nd Final 1984 Highlights

Watch the highlights of Australia vs West Indies Benson & Hedges World Series Cup 2nd Final 1984 - Benson & Hedges World Series Cup one-day international tournament of the second final played between West Indies and Australia at Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne in 11th February 1984.

Carl Rackemann was run out from last-ball of the match as first-ever match tied between Australia and West Indies in a historic game of the second semi-final of a Benson and Hedges World Series Cup.

* This is the first-ever One-day international match to end in a tie.

West Indies scored 222-5 in 50 overs with top scorer by Viv Richards struck 59 off 70-balls including 5-fours.

Richie Richardson hit 43 off 70-balls including 5-fours, Jeff Dujon scored a unbeaten 33 off 24-balls included 3-fours.

Larry Gomes scored a unbeaten 25 off 34-balls including a boundary, Richard Gabriel hit 19 off 35-balls included 4-fours and Desmond Haynes 18.

Australia best bowler by Kepler Wessels takes 2-wickets, Geoff Lawson, Allan Border and Carl Rackemann each took one-wickets.

Australia scored 222-9 in 50 overs with top scorer by Kepler Wessels cracked a 77 off 109-balls including 6-fours.

Kim Hughes scored 53 off 89-balls including 2-fours, Geoff Lawson hit a unbeaten 21 off 19-balls 2-fours and Rod Marsh 16.

West Indies best bowler by Michael Holding, Joel Garner both picked up 3-wickets for 39-runs in 10-overs and Malcolm Marshall took one-wicket.

This match reported by Alan Shiell (Third Party Reference from The Daily Telegraph / Sunday Telegraph)

AUSTRALIA forced a third and deciding final against the West Indies with an enthralling tie in the second final of the World Series Cup at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

In scenes reminiscent of the tied Test in Brisbane in 1960-61, tailender Carl Rackeman was run out off the last ball of the day as he attempted to complete a bye.

The West Indians, who thrashed Australia by nine wickets in the first final in Sydney on Wednesday, believed they had won the series and ran triumphantly from the ground. But confusion reigned while officials studied the rule book before deciding that a third final was necessary.

Australia were handicapped by injuries to batsmen Steve Smith and Greg Ritchie who face fitness tests tomorrow to determine their availability for the West Indies tour, which starts on Wednesday.

Smith dived for a ball in the field early in the day, then lay motionless for six minutes before he was stretchered from the field. The New South Wales right-hander dislocated his left shoulder and had it reset in hospital. He returned to the ground with his arm in a sling. He also had torn ligaments in his shoulder. Tasmania's David Boon and Western Australia's Graeme Wood were both put on standby for the tour in case Smith and Ritchie failed their tests.

The MCG has proved a hoo-doo for the Australians, as Graham Yallop, then David Hookes, injured medial ligaments during the one-day games here. Yallop will miss the tour, while Hookes bas been sidelined for a month, but will travel.

Australia could hardly have made a worse start today, with Ritchie hurting his right knee walking on to the field after Clive Lloyd had won the toss and decided to bat, Smith then had his accident and Kepler Wessels missed a chance to catch Viv Richards when he was only seven.

Richards went on to score 59 off just 70 balls, receiving outstanding support from Richardson (43 off 69 balls) and Dujon (33 off 24 balls), to enable the West Indies to compile 222-5.

There appeared little chance that without Smith and with Ritchie requiring a runner, Ausrtalia could better the 4.44 runs an over set by the West Indies, but skipper Hughes (55 off 88 balls) and Wessels (77 off 109 balls) shared a 109-run second-wicket partnership to keep Australia in touch.

When the last over began. Australia required 11 runs to win with Lawson and Hogg at the crease. Hogg was run out with three balls left, and when Joel Garner charged in for the final ball the scores were tied and still were when Rackemann was run out.



Previous Post Next Post