England vs New Zealand First Ever ODI Match Series

New Zealand tour of England 2-match first ever one day international series of the final and 2nd ODI match played between England vs New Zealand for the Prudential Trophy was drawn at Old Trafford (Manchester) in 20th July 1973.

Leaving England winners of the series by 1-0 of the 2-match series, Two heavy showers delayed and then washed out play before England had completed their Innings and this is the first aborted match in One-day international cricket history.

England had scored an unimpressive 167-runs for lost 8 wickets by the 49th over when the final storm broke, The firet stoppage prompted the realisation that there was no legislation to facilitate a finish in a game thus interrupted.

Some new regulations will no doubt be framed to make good the deficiency, England's Dennis Amiss (100 off 121 deliveries) and New Zealand's Vic Pollard (55 off 112 deliveries) top scorers in their respective teams at Swansea, were named as the Man of the Series Awarded.

Earlier, At Swansea England vs New Zealand played their first ever (ODI) one day international match in July 18th 1973 and England won by 7 wickets (with 57 balls remaining).

New Zealand skipper Bevan Congdon must have decided to put England in from reluctance to expose his early batting once more to John Snow and Geoff Arnold rather than in hope that the pitch would prove difficult.

After heavy rain earlier in that week the wicket was deeply soaked, it would take turn but only slowly, Nevertheless, Bevan Congdon gave his opening bowlers three close fieldsmen, His hope was not justified.

Geoff Boycott started more briskly than at Swansea and had an established air when he was leg before wicket to a ball from Bruce Taylor that kept low.

Dennis Amiss made possed and precisely and a square out that swept across the heavy outfield. Hedley Howarth an accurate slow left-arm bowler, stowed the Innings and Bevan Congdon.

with his artful variations on slow medium broke into it, First he surprised Dennis Amiss with his faster ball, which took the edge of a half-formed forcing stroke and went through to Ken Wadsworth, then almost as soon as Frank Hayes had demonstrated his pedigree, he tricked him into cutting at a full-length ball and edging it into his stumps.

Dennis Amiss got out for 34 off consuming 64 deliveries including four fabulous fours.

Graham Roope found little opportunity for his normal front-foot play and in spite of general aggression and a fine six over long-on by Keith Fletcher, England could hardly claim advantage with 96-runs from 36 overs at lunch.

Grarah Roope caught out with 44 by Keeper Ken Wadsworth off Bevan Congdon

The afternoon was spent in watching the rain and awaiting impromptu legislation from Lord's, Although the match regulations provided for a late start and an unfinished match, there was nothing to cover an interruption.

Eventually it was announced that Ray Illingworth might declare or bat through England's allocation of 55 overs and that the result would be decided on an over comparative scoring rate, so long as New Zealand batted for atleast 30 overs, which were to be bowled at a minimum rate of 16 to the hour.

When play was restarted after an early tea, the English batsmen made the utmost of their relative security to throw their bats at the ball in an attempt to lift the scoring rate.

England batsmen Tony Greig smashed 14-runs with 2 sixes, everyone went about the task in the way that best suited him and, in 12 overs, they scored another 71-runs.

The New Zealand fielding was keen and spite of the pressure, some long field catches were taken calmly and safely.

The England rate was still less than four runs an over when the final rain fell, Yet again on this tour New Zealand had been granted a sight of winning, only to lose it, Thus their visit ended characteristically.

* This modified Article reference from ( T.G ) Author by John Arlott



Previous Post Next Post