Australia vs Zimbabwe 6th Match Reliance World Cup 1987 Article

Read the article of Australia vs Zimbabwe 6th Match Reliance World Cup 1987 - Reliance World Cup 1987 tournament of the 6th ODI match played between Zimbabwe and Australia at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Madras in 13th October 1987.

Goeff Marsh, Allan Border's half-centuries, All-rounder Steve Waugh's crucial 45 with his economical bowling to conceded 7-runs in six-overs and Simon O'Donnell's four-wicket haul helped to Australia's record 96-run victory over Zimbabwe in a one-sided game of the sixth match of a Reliance World Cup.

Australia scored 235-9 in 50 overs with top scorer by Allan Border struck 67 off 88-balls including 8-fours.

Geoff Marsh cracked a 62 off 101-balls including 8-fours, Steve Waugh hit 45 off 41-balls included 3-fours & a six, Greg Dyer blasted a 27 off 20-balls contained 2-sixes & a four with strike rate of 135 and Peter Taylor 17 not out.

Zimbabwe best bowler by Kevin Curran, Iain Butchart both took 2-wickets and one for Ali Shah.

Zimbabwe scored 139 for all-out in 42.4 overs with top scorer by Kevin Curran cracked a 30 off 38-balls including 3-sixes & a four, Andy Waller 19, Iain Butchart 18, Grant Patterson 16 and Peter Rawson 15.

Australia best bowler by Simon O'Donnell claimed a 4-wickets for 39-runs in 9.4-overs including a maiden, Tim May took 2-wiclets and one for Craig McDermott - Bruce Reid.

This match reported by Mike Coward (Third Party Reference from SMH)

After some moments of high anxiety early in the day, Australia was untroubled to score a 96-run win over Zimbabwe in their World Cup qualifying match at the Chidambaram Stadium.

Zimbabwe, on this occasion unable to mask their yawning deficiencies, managed just 139 runs in 42.4 overs in response to Australia's 9-235.

The Australians, efficient rather than inspired as was the case against India last Friday, have made an outstanding start to their campaign and will be favoured to retain their unblemished record when they meet New Zealand in Indore on Sunday.

The gods that have looked so favourably upon them at this ground over the past two years were in attendance again today when Allan Border was missed on one with Australia stumbling at 2-21 in the ninth over.

Border offered a simple return catch to left-arm opening bowler Malcolm Jarvis. To the dismay of his team-mates, Jarvis was unable to complete the catch and stood mid-pitch, head buried in his hands, before asking umpire David Shepherd for a towel to wipe the sweat from his hands and dry the ball.

Border, so keen to erase the memory of the 13-run defeat at Nottingham in 1983, quickly regained his composure to top score with 67 and with Geoff Marsh, who is in fine fettle, added a decisive 113 in 25 overs for the third wicket.

Border's good fortune at this ground is remarkable. When he first played here in 1979, he was missed before he had scored on his way to 162, and last year in the tied Test was reprieved on nought on his way to 106.

Ironically, it was the only serious lapse by the Zimbabweans, who gave another superb fielding and catching exhibition in front of a crowd of about 30,000.

At least psychologically the Zimbabweans were shattered when Jarvis dropped the catch, and while they persisted in the field they did not reveal the same batting grit evident against New Zealand at Hyderabad at the weekend.

Only Kevin Curran, their Gloucestershire professional, reached 20, finishing with 30 from 38 balls with three sixes.

Against New Zealand, only century scorer David Houghton and Ian Butchart reached 10.
While Simon O'Donnell and newcomer Tim May were the most successful bowlers, Stephen Waugh conceded only seven runs from six overs, an effort which complemented his breezy 45 and won him the Man-of-the-Match award.

Today Border exhorted the Australians to treat the Zimbabweans with the seriousness they would accord the West Indies. They took him at his word, and for the first 10 overs were so uncomfortable one could have believed they were confronting the West Indies pacemen on a green top in Perth.

In fact, they had only to contend with a zealous but modest attack but one that was magnificently supported in the field.

But for the persistence of Border and Marsh, and the enterprise of Waugh and Greg Dyer after some serious inactivity from the 30th to 40th overs, Australia would have struggled to reach 210.

The nervousness of the Australians was evident from the moment Zimbabwe captain John Traicos won the toss and compelled them to bat first on a pitch which had altered character since Friday when Australia scored their heady one-run victory over India.

Certainly the ball played at varying heights and Traicos, who again bowled with great guile and economy, gained appreciable turn at times.

Border and Marsh methodically hauled the Australians back from the brink after David Boon received a ball from Curran that lifted surprisingly and Dean Jones was the first of four to underestimate the competence of the Zimbabweans in the field.

Despite Marsh's lack of interest in an improbable single by Jones to mid-off, Jones followed his offering with gusto and was unable to regain his ground ahead of Peter Rawson's return.

The pressure Zimbabwe exerted in the field increased the agitation of the Australians and Waugh, Simon O'Donnell and Tim May were all run out, Waugh in the most spectacular manner by seamer Ali Shah fielding brilliantly to his own bowling.

Despite the absence of Eddo Brandes, who was hurt during his excellent spell against New Zealand, and nagging injuries to Curran and Rawson, the Zimbabwe attack persisted admirably.

Had Curran's back problems not recurred - he was able to bowl only eight overs - Traicos could have lessened the demands on Rawson and Butchart, his two most expensive bowlers.
Curran, who was officially warned by Pakistani umpire Khizer Hyat for running on the pitch, took 2-29 from eight overs.

After his great escape Border played with confidence, particularly off his legs through mid-wicket, and with Marsh, who followed his century last Friday with a solid 62 from 102 balls, successfully righted the listing vessel.

After the loss of momentum when just 35 runs came between the 30th and 40th overs Waugh, with a blistering 45 from 37 balls, and Dyer (27 from 22 deliveries with three sixes) ensured a competitive total.



Previous Post Next Post